Sunday, September 1, 2013

BY THE THORN ROAD

But to do this, one thing is essential, we must look resolutely and absolutely away from all secondary causes. We never can say, “Your will be done” to secondary causes, for they generally arise from human sins or human mistakes. And if we look at them, we will soon be in despair. But there are no secondary causes in the universe, dear friend. Everything ultimately is God’s instrument, accomplishing His purpose, and all is ordered in infinite wisdom and love. Men and women may seem to control affairs or to disarrange them, but behind all the seething and tossing of human affairs, God sits as a Refiner with fire, and not a sparrow even falls without Him! What infinite comfort is here! But why do I write to you like this? I wonder if it can be that you especially need it just now. I am sure you will be glad to know that the pathway of trial has been turned into a pathway of light and blessing to my soul. The dear Lord has been so good to me that I can only look back and praise Him, and look forward and trust Him. And I have learned that it is indeed true that “by the thorn road and none other is the mount of vision won.” The road may be mysterious, but the end is blessed. Therefore, dear friend, we will accept whatever our Father sends with submissive spirits, will we not, and make His dear will the bed where we can rest our weary and aching hearts. Upon God’s I’ll lay me down As child upon its mother’s breast No silken couch nor softest Could ever give me such sweet rest. —To Mrs. Gurney, May 29, 1878

No comments:

Post a Comment